Sherwin-Williams becomes new tenant in historical Philipp’s Bakery building

By LANCE ARMSTRONG, Valley Community Newspapers writer

It has been nearly five years since East Sacramento lost one of its most notable historic businesses, Philipp’s Bakery, at 3300 Folsom Blvd. And although one can no longer purchase sweet edibles at this site, it is quite fitting that the building’s new tenant was also established in the capital city more than 80 years ago.

A NEW ERA. Scott Brigman, district manager of Sherwin-Williams’ Cal-North District, and Liz Malm, the East Sacramento store’s new manager, stand inside the new store prior to its Feb. 13 opening. / Valley Community Newspapers photo, Lance Armstrong

A NEW ERA. Scott Brigman, district manager of Sherwin-Williams’ Cal-North District, and Liz Malm, the East Sacramento store’s new manager, stand inside the new store prior to its Feb. 13 opening. / Valley Community Newspapers photo, Lance Armstrong

Philipp’s Bakery opened its doors at its Folsom Boulevard location for the first time in 1925 and The Sherwin-Williams Co. was providing paint and other products to the Sacramento community as early as 1927.

Philipp’s Bakery

Eventually becoming one of the city’s longest-operating bakeries, Philipp’s Bakery enjoyed a very successful history.

The business was a favorite among people in and outside of East Sacramento, as it offered a wide variety of fresh, tasty treats, ranging from cakes and pies to breads and Danish pastries.

The early success of this Sacramento bakery can be partially attributed to the fact that by the time that its original owners, German immigrants Julius Herman Philipp and Angelina Philipp, opened their Sacramento business, Philipp’s Bakery was already an established operation.

Six years prior to their arrival in Sacramento, the Philipps opened a bakery in Calistoga, Calif. – the original location for this business.

Julius Philipp had learned the art of baking while working for his brother, Anton Philipp, who owned a bakery in San Francisco. And through this experience, Julius Philipp gained a love for baking that led to his strong desire to operate his own bakery.

The East Sacramento bakery was owned and operated by the Philipp family for the majority of its existence.

Sherwin-Williams history

POLISHING UP. Sacramento resident Issac Patterson of JBE Commercial Cleaning puts some finishing touches on the old Philipp’s Bakery building. / Valley Community Newspapers photo, Lance Armstrong

POLISHING UP. Sacramento resident Issac Patterson of JBE Commercial Cleaning puts some finishing touches on the old Philipp’s Bakery building. / Valley Community Newspapers photo, Lance Armstrong

Although Sacramento lost one of its most cherished institutions, through the old Philipp’s Bakery building, Sherwin-Williams is able to expand upon its history in the capital city.

The history of The Sherwin-Williams Co., which is the nation’s largest producer of paints and coatings, links back to 1866. It was in that year that Henry Sherwin became a partner in the Truman, Dunham & Co., a vendor of “paint ingredients, brushes, glass and other decorating products” in Cleveland, Ohio.

On Feb. 3, 1870, Sherwin partnered with Edward Williams to form Sherwin, Williams & Co.

Paint history in Sac-town

The earliest reference to Sherwin-Williams’ existence in Sacramento that was discovered during research for this article appears in the 1927 city directory.

It was at that time that the business was located at 1014 6th Street, between the Hotel Stewart and the Smith and Brantly soft drinks manufacturing company.

Sacramento had 14 other paint dealers at the time, including Pierce Paint & Varnish Co. at 3863 J St. and R. E. Stowe at 3307 Folsom Blvd. in East Sacramento and W. P. Fuller & Co. at 1013 12th St., Emigh-Winchell Hardware Co. at 709-15 J St. and California Paint Co. at 2110 10th St. in downtown Sacramento.

GREEN COMMUTE. The store’s new manager, Liz Malm, no longer has to drive her car to work since she resides in East Sacramento. / Valley Community Newspapers photo, Lance Armstrong

GREEN COMMUTE. The store’s new manager, Liz Malm, no longer has to drive her car to work since she resides in East Sacramento. / Valley Community Newspapers photo, Lance Armstrong

Sherwin-William’s first Sacramento distributor was George L. Danner (1889-1940).

Although the name, Sherwin-Williams, was not mentioned as being associated with any Sacramento address prior to 1927, city directories refer to George as the operator of a paint store at the aforementioned 6th Street address beginning in 1923.

Eugene R. Anderson, who worked as a salesman at the Sherwin-Williams 1014 6th Street store, became the store’s manager in 1929, when the business was relocated to the Ramona Hotel building at 602 J St.

Eugene, who eventually had a wife named Alice, resided with George at 2217 24th St. in 1927. But by the following year, Eugene was living at 2532 8th Ave.

In 1934, Sherwin-Williams’ Sacramento store was relocated to 711 J St., where it remained until 1939, when the store began the first of its 17 years at 1024 J St.

It was also during these latter mentioned years that The Sherwin-Williams Co. sold insecticides at a separate Sacramento location. This store operated at 1808 22nd St. from 1939 to 1942.

George, who last lived at 1433 47th St. with his wife Florence, remained with Sherwin-Williams until the time of his death in 1940. Eugene managed Sacramento stores until at least the mid-1940s.

Sherwin-Williams’ Sacramento store managers during the following two decades included: John J. Jacquet, Theodore H. “Ted” Delano, John D. Sullivan and Frank Kales.

In 1956, a second Sherwin-Williams store was in operation at 1816 21st St. and managed by Glenn H. Hill.

A year later, Hill became manager of the new auto paint branch at 2106 K St. and Sullivan managed the relocated Sherwin-Williams store at 2110 K St.

The business’s 5687 Stockton Blvd. store, which was originally managed by Kales, opened in 1961 in a building that had previously housed Fruitridge Florists.

During the late 1960s, Sherwin-Williams began its longtime operation at 18th and D streets. Claude Stuthard managed the general paint store at 1820 D St. and Wilson W. Reed managed the auto paint store at 1818 D St.

Paint in the present

PREVIEW OF FUTURE ATTRACTIONS. “Coming Soon” and “Opening Soon” signs informed local residents that the old Philipp’s Bakery building would have a new tenant. / Valley Community Newspapers photo, Lance Armstrong

PREVIEW OF FUTURE ATTRACTIONS. “Coming Soon” and “Opening Soon” signs informed local residents that the old Philipp’s Bakery building would have a new tenant. / Valley Community Newspapers photo, Lance Armstrong

Today, Sherwin-Williams, in addition to its new East Sacramento store, operates in the following Sacramento locations: 3119 Arden Way, 5122 Madison Ave., near Carmichael, and 1200 Del Paso Road #120. Stores are also located in Elk Grove, Rancho Cordova, Folsom, Roseville and Rocklin.

The East Sacramento store’s new manager is Liz Malm, who said that she was very excited to obtain her current position, since she lives in East Sacramento and can ride her bicycle to work.

“I’m just really excited to be here (at the East Sacramento store) and it’s such a great community,” Malm said.

Pride in preservation

The overall feeling from the building’s owners, the store’s management and employees, and those who helped ready the building for its new business is one of pride in preserving and maintaining a building that is special to the community.

Sacramento resident Issac Patterson of JBE Commercial Cleaning, for instance, said while working last week on the finishing touches of the old structure, “It feels good to put a little shine back on the old building.”

During about the past six months, the building, which has been owned by Mark Cordano and Ken Fahn for about 18 months, has undergone various improvements, including the replacement of footings around the building, the filling in of the basement, the removal and placement of new concrete floors and the reinforcement of the roofing structure.

Bakery history respected

WORKMEN carry the last awning frame to be placed on the building. / Valley Community Newspapers photo, Lance Armstrong

WORKMEN carry the last awning frame to be placed on the building. / Valley Community Newspapers photo, Lance Armstrong

Scott Brigman, district manager of Sherwin-Williams’ Cal-North District, said that the company has such a respect for the history of the bakery that a Sherwin-Williams neon sign, which will be in the likeness of the Philipp’s neon sign that was removed from the building last December, will eventually be placed on the structure.

“With the work that had to be done on the building, you can’t keep everything the same, but we certainly tried to respect the history of the bakery,” Brigman said. “A can of paint isn’t going to replace a piece of cake for anybody in the neighborhood, but we can keep the memory of the bakery alive a little bit somehow and someway (through the new, old-style sign).”

The historic Philipp’s Bakery sign is presently being stored at the Center for Sacramento History.

lance@valcomnews.com

Sac City Unified School District prepares for the worst; $28 million cut Little Pocket baseball, softball player defies the odds

One comment

  1. Nancy Marotte
    #1

    Lance,

    Thank you for the history of Philipp’s Bakery, that our parents and grandparents founded and operated, and for the history of Sherwin-William’s first Sacramento distributor George L. Danner.

    I noticed the new sign going up the other day and was glad to see that it was in the old style of neon signs. I look forward to seeing the original Philipp’s sign lit up again one day in the new Center for Sacramento History.

    Nancy

Leave a Reply





XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>