Elks building in the Pocket dates back to the 1970s

The Sacramento Elks Lodge No. 6 building at 6446 Riverside Blvd. is shown following its completion in the late 1970s. / Photo courtesy of Elks Lodge No. 6
The Sacramento Elks Lodge No. 6 building at 6446 Riverside Blvd. is shown following its completion in the late 1970s. / Photo courtesy of Elks Lodge No. 6

The Sacramento Elks Lodge No. 6 building at 6446 Riverside Blvd. is one of the grand landmarks of the Pocket area.
Many longtime Sacramentans recall that the local Elks previously maintained their headquarters in an even grander landmark – the 226-foot-tall, brick and steel building at the northeast corner of 11th and J streets. That structure was dedicated as the new home of Sacramento Elks Lodge No. 6 on June 22, 1926.
The era of the Elks’ existence at 11th and J streets ended in the 1970s, and plans were made for a new home for the local organization.
Having sold the 11th and J streets building, Sacramento Elks Lodge No. 6 began that new chapter in its history at its present Riverside Boulevard building.
Although that structure does not have the grandiose aesthetics of the old 11th and J streets temple, the structure, which encompasses about an acre of property, is nonetheless a high quality building with various amenities.
The main feature of the building is its combined rooms, which include the Riverside Room, the Florin Room and the Lodge Room. These rooms can also be opened up for use as one large room.
Available for rentals, the combined rooms also include a 50-foot by 50-foot hardwood dance floor and a 46-foot by 16-foot stage.
Additionally, all members have access to a fitness center, which includes an indoor pool, Jacuzzi, steam room, racquetball and handball courts and a weight room.
Other amenities include a library and meeting room, a lounge with a full bar and small dance floor, a patio and barbecue area, a kitchen and a game room.
As for telling the story of the establishment of an Elks lodge in the Pocket, information was gathered for this article, the most important of which was a chronological summary of the building project written by Garry T. Vivaldi, then-Elks state trustee and exalted ruler of the lodge in 1956 and 1957.
The road to the Elks departure from its downtown skyscraper began on Jan. 17, 1967 when Otto Steinbrenner, Jr., city chief building inspector, via a letter, informed the Elks Lodge No. 6 Hall Association that its temple would need to be improved to meet the then-present building codes.
In recalling that time in the local Elks history, Vivaldi wrote, “For approximately three years, we procrastinated on what course to pursue in this matter. Would we attempt to raise money to make necessary improvements to meet the building code standards or should we continue in our efforts to purchase new land in a desirable location and build a new home?”
On Aug. 25, 1970, the pros and cons of selling the longtime home of the Elks were discussed during a regular meeting.
During the following year, the local Elks’ building committee met various times with the McKeon Construction Co. regarding a possible build-to-suit and lease back arrangement in the Stonelake area, near the site of a then-future portion of Interstate 5.
The lodge made major moves regarding its downtown temple in 1972, with the first of those moves coming on April 4, when membership approved a resolution to sell the building and its land.
Then on Nov. 1, 1972, a sale occurred, when A&A Key and Builders Supply and B and B Enterprises purchased the building and property for a net sum of $250,000.
But in being that the lodge would have become homeless without its old building, an arrangement was made to lease back three floors of the structure for five years.
That arrangement called for the lease to begin on Dec. 1, 1972 and terminate on Dec. 1, 1977.
Considerations were given for various potential sites for a location of a new lodge building, among which were 10 acres in the Natomas area along Interstate 5 and property in the Campus Commons area near California State University, Sacramento.
On June 11, 1974, local Elks members voted, 112-8, to purchase about a 15-acre site at the lodge’s present location.
An application was filed with the city Planning Commission on Aug. 14, 1974 for the purpose of acquiring a special permit to have a “private club” constructed in an agricultural zone at the northwest corner of Riverside Boulevard and Florin Road.
A kickoff rally for the new building fund was held in the lodge’s Mirror Room on Feb. 13, 1975.
Highlights of that event included steaks that were grilled on a barbecue on the fire escape and the presentation of a wheelbarrow with 300 silver dollars that was wheeled into the room by Francis W. Silva, past exalted ruler, as a donation to the new building fund.
In reflecting on that time in the efforts to have a new Elks lodge constructed, Vivaldi wrote: “The year 1975 was a critical one of the building committee. Much had to be done by way of designing the building, inside and out, location of building on property, type of building, interior considerations of location of offices, athletic department, bar, banquet hall, lodge room, library, pool room, conference areas, kitchen and numerous other items, and most important of all – the financing of the building program.”
Members of the lodge approved a contractual agreement for building design services on Oct. 23, 1975, followed by the grand lodge’s approval to proceed with the construction of a new building on Jan. 8, 1976.
On Dec. 14, 1976, membership approved the borrowing of $600,000 for the financing of the new building.
Ten days later, a formal application to the grand lodge designated plans to expend $1,055,000 for the new Elks structure and the execution of a $600,000 mortgage at a 9 ¼ percent interest to be repaid in 25 years.
A groundbreaking ceremony for the building was held on Jan. 15, 1977. At the gathering, Exalted Ruler Richard Sanderson turned over the first shovel full of dirt with the same embossed, jewel encrusted shovel that was used for the groundbreaking of the 11th and J streets temple.
The construction of the building initially progressed rapidly, but progress would be temporarily delayed in August 1977, as it was determined that the parapet walls surrounding the mechanical units on the roof were insufficient for their purposes and thus needed to be revised.
During the final meeting at the 11th and J streets temple on Nov. 8, 1977, a resolution was approved for the borrowing of an additional $135,000 for the building project.
Furniture and fixtures that would not be used at the new building were sold at an auction held at the downtown temple on Nov. 12, 1977.
Two weeks later, many Elks members dedicated a day to moving the remaining Elks property from their former home to their new home on Riverside Boulevard.
The first lodge meeting in the new building was held in the conference room on Dec. 13, 1977, as the lodge room had not yet been completed.
Following its eventual completion, the present home of Sacramento Elks Lodge No. 6 was dedicated on April 21, 1979. And the mortgage for the present building was burned in 1991 after the sale of the lodge’s additional property created funds to pay the balance of that mortgage.

Lance@valcomnews.com

Arden area, other places share unique shopping center connections

A Town & Country Village shopping center was located in Sunnyvale, Calif. from about 1963 to about 2013. / Photo courtesy of the Heritage Park Museum
A Town & Country Village shopping center was located in Sunnyvale, Calif. from about 1963 to about 2013. / Photo courtesy of the Heritage Park Museum

Editor’s Note: This is part two of a two-part series about various Town & Country shopping center locations.

Residents of the Sacramento region and beyond are familiar with the Arden area’s Town & Country Village at Fulton and Marconi avenues. But a much lesser known trivia is that many other cities have been home to Town & Country shopping centers.
Some of those centers have a direct link to Sacramento’s Town & Country Village, while others simply share the name, partial name or concept.
Although research for this article revealed the establishment of Town & Country Village locations in additional cities, John Strizek, the son of Jere’ Strizek, who founded the Arden area’s Town & Country Village, said, “My dad was really only associated with the three (Village locations) that he built (in Sacramento, Los Angeles and Phoenix) and the one he consulted on (in San José). Later on, he did some shopping center consulting up in Portland, but that was a completely different deal. That was with the Jansen family, and a project of theirs.”

Palo Alto

The reverse side of an old postcard for another Town & Country Village reads: “Town and Country Village, Palo Alto, California, on the east side of El Camino Real, features dozens of specialty shops for elegant shopping.”
The front of that 1950s card shows a long stretch of buildings with overhangs and red tile roofs.
Through research for this article, it was discovered that this Town & Country Village continues to operate in mostly original structures, about a half-mile south of the main campus of Stanford University and directly across the street from Stanford Stadium.
In regard to this Village location, Oxana Morozov, property assistant for the management of Palo Alto’s Town & Country Village, said, “Town and Country Village was built in the 1950s. The buildings are all original. We have about 90 retail stores and 20 offices. We have a lot of boutique-like stores and a lot of retail restaurants. (There are) some national businesses, and small mom and pop (type businesses). More than 50 (percent of the businesses are of) the mom and pop (type variety).”
Morozov added that this Town & Country Village, which has the address of 855 El Camino Real, has been owned by Ellis Partners since 2008.
Also commenting about the Village in Palo Alto was Steve Steiger, historian of the Palo Alto Historical Association.
“There is one new building (housing a Trader Joe’s) on the site,” Steiger said. “Most of the buildings date from the 1950s and they’ve been remodeled and altered over time.”

Sunnyvale

Through a discussion with Laura Babcock, director of the Heritage Park Museum in Sunnyvale, Calif., it was confirmed that a Town & Country Village, with the familiar overhangs, ivy covered wooden posts and red tile roofs, was once located in that city at the northwest corner of Francis Street and Washington Avenue.
A 1988 newspaper clipping on file with the museum refers to the shopping center as a 25-year-old landmark, or in other words, it was built and/or opened in 1963.
Babcock said that Sunnyvale’s Town & Country Village experienced economic difficulties and was eventually demolished (in about 2013).”

Mill Valley

Jocelyn Moss, librarian at the Marin History Museum, verified the one-time existence of a Town & Country Village in Mill Valley in Marin County.
“Yeah, there was (a Town & Country Village) in Mill Valley,” Moss said. “(The shopping center is) out in the country, but the mailing address is Mill Valley. It’s (in) a development area. I don’t know much about when it started, but it was around 1965, because I didn’t see it in the 1964 phone book.
“(The center’s buildings) have a mission-style [appearance], with the red tile roofs, [overhangs and palms]. It’s right [off] the freeway – Highway 101.”
Through further research for this article, it was discovered that the shopping center is now called Strawberry Village.
Steve Steiger, the aforementioned historian of the Palo Alto Historical Association, recalled visiting this shopping center during his youth.
“I was a kid growing up in Mill Valley when it appeared there in the 1960s,” Steiger said. “If I was a betting man, I would say it [began in] 1962. I grew up across the freeway. I remember going to a record store that was in the shopping center and buying (some of the) latest rock ‘n’ roll records.”

El Cajon

San Diego County has been home to various Town & Country shopping centers, including three such centers in El Cajon.
Marie Scott, assistant to Chuck Moore, property manager for El Cajon Town & Country since 2008, said that the management company’s records show that El Cajon Town & Country dates back to 1965.
Adjacent to that center is a smaller center known as Town & Country Village.
In speaking about that Town & Country Village, Jane Kenealy, archivist at the San Diego History Center, said, “This is just a very small shopping center. It may have been updated and lost its western theme, which is highly possible. But that is the only one (in El Cajon) that is called Town & Country Village.”
Further research about El Cajon shopping centers led to the discovery of a shopping center known as Rancho San Diego Town & Country, at 2514-2522 Jamacha Road.
Brian Quinn, senior vice president of Flocke & Avoyer Real Estate, a third party agent for Kimco Realty, which owns a portion of Rancho San Diego Town & Country, mentioned that this shopping center has the familiar overhangs, red tile roofs and palm trees.
Quinn added that the same center was built in three phases from about 1988 to about 1994.

Houston

A Town & Country Village debuted in Houston in the late 1960s, and had its north end re-created into the Town & Country Mall two decades later.
The mall was demolished in 2005, and was replaced by another high density shopping center known as CityCentre, at 800 Town and Country Blvd.
Town & Country Village, which was redeveloped in 1996, exists in its redeveloped form today.
An early advertisement for the Town & Country Village in Houston includes the following words: “Town & Country Village, Memorial Drive and Interstate 10 freeway at West Belt Freeway. Town and Country in Houston usually means Town and Country Village – America’s most picturesque and charming center of department stores, boutiques, shops, stores, restaurants, theatres and fun! The large and magnificent, as well as the small and quaint.”
Houston native Elizabeth Martin, who serves as the education coordinator for The Heritage Society in Houston, which focuses on the history of Houston and the surrounding region, also spoke about Houston’s Town & Country Village, which has the address of 12850 Memorial Drive.
“Town & Country (Village) was more picturesque, because it wasn’t all under one roof,” Martin said. “They’ve totally redone that particular center. Now they’ve gone to kind of a town concept, (with) more the town than the country. It’s more high end now, with a lot more restaurants.”

Whitehall and Kettering, Ohio

During research for this article, it was discovered that two cities in the state of Ohio are home to Town & Country Shopping Centers. Those cities are Whitehall and Kettering.
An article in the February 24, 2013 edition of The Columbus Dispatch notes that on July 5, 1947, real estate developer Don M. Casto, Sr. had announced his plan to have “a million-dollar shopping center” constructed “just outside the city (of Columbus)” on East Broad Street, between Maplewood and Collingwood avenues (in the then new suburb of Whitehall).” The article mentions the official opening of Whitehall’s Town & Country Shopping Center as March 1, 1949.
Casto, a now third generation, full-service real estate company, owns both the Town and Country center in Whitehall and the Town & Country center in Kettering.
The Kettering center, which recently added a Trader Joe’s, is described by Casto as having been a joint venture project of that company and Skilken real estate development company for many years.
Instrumental in obtaining information for this segment of this article were Lois Helton and Teresa Huntley of the Kettering-Moraine Branch of the Dayton Metro Library in Kettering.
While searching for materials regarding the Town & Country topic, Helton discovered author Harold E. Amli’s 1997 book, “A History of Van Buren Township and Kettering, Ohio,” on a shelf at the Kettering-Moraine Branch library.
In that book, Amli mentions that Kettering’s Town & Country center was built in 1950 and 1951 and opened in the fall of 1951.
As for drawing a connection between the western-themed Town & Country Villages with their overhangs and red tile roofs and the Town and Country Shopping Centers of Whitehall and Kettering, historic photographs of these Ohio shopping centers reveal that these centers did not have those features.
An important finding during research for this article was the existence of a smaller section of the Kettering center known as the T&C Village Shops.
In commenting about the Village Shops, Huntley said, “They’re a part of Town & Country [Shopping Center], but they’re a separate building.”
Historical details about Kettering’s Village Shops were not discovered during interviews and research for this chapter. However, it may be more than a coincidence that this Ohio city is home to T&C Village Shops and Jere’ Strizek established shopping centers that utilized the name Town & Country Village Shops.

Lance@valcomnews.com

Town & Country Village history includes locations outside Sacramento

Sacramento’s Town and Country Village, shown in this 1950s photograph, was constructed in what was, at the time, a very rural part of the county. Photo courtesy of the Lance Armstrong Collection
Sacramento’s Town and Country Village, shown in this 1950s photograph, was constructed in what was, at the time, a very rural part of the county. Photo courtesy of the Lance Armstrong Collection

Editor’s Note: This is part one of a two-part series about various Town & Country Village

locations.

There are certainly a wide variety of sites that have brought character to Sacramento, and among those sites was undoubtedly Town & Country Village at the northeast corner of Fulton and Marconi avenues.
Although this shopping center has a much different appearance than it did in its earlier years, it continues to carry its name and legacy.

Sacramento

Nearly 70 years ago, a visionary contractor named Jere’ Strizek (1902-1979) was granted permission to build a 300-foot-long building and two buildings with 90-foot fronts on that site.
In its Sept. 11, 1945 edition, The Sacramento Bee notes: “The completed project, to be called the Town and Country Shopping Center, will serve Bohemian Village, the Country Club Estates and a large tract southeast of the Del Paso Country Club which Strizek plans to develop as restrictions on home buildings are lifted.”
Partnering with Strizek on the design of the Village was the Illinois-born, Sacramento architectural designer John W. Davis (1911-1970), who earned a bachelor’s degree in architecture at the University of Illinois in 1934.
By September 1946, 20 of the then planned 30 stores were then in operation.
Many longtime locals are familiar with the Village’s original features such as Spanish-style buildings with red tile roofs and overhangs and tall palms, redwood plank store signs, wooden benches, urns, hanging pots and a wide variety of shrubbery and flowers.
But a relatively few number of those people area aware that Sacramento was not the only city to have a Town & Country Village shopping center.
During research for this article, it was discovered that Jere’ and his wife, Jessie, had only one child, John Edward Strizek.

Los Angeles

John Strizek, who is now 67 and resides in Land Park, said that another Town & Country Village was constructed on leased property in Los Angeles in the 1950s.
“After the (Strizek) family moved to Los Angeles, they built (a Town & Country Village in that city),” John Strizek said. “That was on (the southeast corner of) 3rd (Street) and Fairfax (Avenue).”
A gold colored, metallic token for the Town & Country Village in Los Angeles was made available as a souvenir in 1955.
On that side of the token are images of a building with an overhang and a tile roof, a wagon wheel and two palm trees. And in the lower right portion of that side of the souvenir is the replica, raised lettered signature of Jere’ Strizek.
The reverse side of the token has the image of a horseshoe, and the words, “You’re always lucky when you shop at ‘the Village.’ 67 distinctive shops to serve you.”
During the early years of Los Angeles’ Town & Country Village, wooden plank, store signs hung in front of the center’s businesses. They included such wording as “Town & Country Delicatessen,” “Fisher’s Hamburgers,” “Richard’s (ice cream shop) – exclusive ice creams, salads & sandwich bars.”
Current records of the city of Los Angeles show no listing for a Town & Country Village.
Brett Arena, archivist for the A.F. Gilmore Co., which owns the historic Farmers Market across the 3rd Street from the old Town & Country Village site, confirmed that the latter named shopping center no longer exists.
“All the (Town & Country Village) buildings are all gone,” Arena said. “I think (the place closed) in the early 1960s.”
The site is presently home to a variety of businesses, including CVS pharmacy, Kmart and Whole Foods Market.
Arena said that Farmers Market opened on July 14, 1934.
Furthermore, Arena shared some history about the area where these two business places operated.
“Town & Country (Village) is adjacent to a very large development called Park La Brea, where Metropolitan Life Insurance developed before,” Arena said. “After the war, the entire project was redesigned. So, this was all of a sudden a very big residential area on the former Hancock land. The Hancock family is an important Los Angeles family. They became an oil family. They owned the vast majority of Rancho La Brea, which was one of the Mexican land grants. So, the property across the street was originally (owned by the) Hancocks.
“So, after the war, when Park La Brea was developed, people were moving into this area. That’s when Town & Country was put together.”
These two shopping destinations eventually became competitive with one another, Arena explained.
“(Town & Country Village) was really not only going to take advantage of (its) proximity to Park La Brea, but also to try to siphon off some of the clientele of the well established Farmers Market,” Arena said. “There was a little bit of a rivalry between the two places.”
In sharing some other details about Los Angeles’ Town & Country Village, Arena said, “One of our tenants, a gentleman by the name of (Irvin ‘Kip’) Kipper started Kip’s Toyland here. Kip was in World War II, and then after the war, he started the Toyland over at the Town & Country (Village).
“Richard’s (ice cream) place was a pretty big deal. I grew up in the neighborhood and went to Fairfax High School up the street. Old timers talk about (Richard’s). There was also a pharmacy and beauty parlor.”
Arena also mentioned that Los Angeles’ Town & Country Village was managed by Earl Froning, and that its property was eventually owned by the Hancock Foundation.

Phoenix

In further speaking about the history of Town & Country Village, John Strizek said, “After (Los Angeles), we moved to Phoenix and made an agreement with Patricia Mars and Allen Feeney, on property of the Milky Way Hereford Ranch on (East) Camelback Road (and 20th Street). (Mars) was part of the Mars candy company family.”
An article in the Nov. 17, 1955 edition of the Prescott (Ariz.) Evening Courier includes the following details about that project: “Already surrounded by new subdivisions, the 138-acre, grassy tract will be the site of a multimillion dollar shopping center with about 100 stores and a hotel, according to preliminary plans by its developers.
“The ranch was reported to have been leased by Jere’ Strizek, a Los Angeles contactor and developer, from M.A. (Allen) Feeney.”
Construction on the center began in May 1956.
John Jacquemart, 65, a researcher and part-time staff worker for the city of Phoenix’s historic preservation office, said that Phoenix’s Town & Country Village continues to operate, with its mostly historic appearance.
“(The center is) still there,” Jacquemart said. “As with any commercial venture, there’s change that goes on. Other things have been added on, but it still has (basically) the same appearance.”
In sharing his earliest memories of Phoenix’s Town & Country Village, Jacquemart said, “I went there in the 1950s. I went there shortly after it opened. We moved to Phoenix in 1956 from Tucson, and where I got shoes – Ernie Brewer’s (children’s) shoe store – was there at Town & Country (Village). And later, in the late 1960s, I would go to the food court and sit out on the patio with some food and some wine.”
Jacquemart added that he found it interesting to learn about other Town & Country Village locations.
“You know, we all think we have something unique, but it’s also kind of great to see that we tie in and fit in with somebody else,” Jacquesmart said.

San Jose

In regard to another Town & Country Village, which was located at the southeast corner of Winchester and Stevens Creek boulevards, near the famous Winchester Mystery House, Strizek said, “My dad did some consulting on one that was built in San Jose, although he did not build that one. And that was probably somewhere around 1960 or so.”
Catherine Mills, curator of archives and library at History San José, Silicon Valley’s largest and most comprehensive historical organization, commented about that Town & Country Village, saying, “According to our directories, the San Jose location first shows up in 1960.”
A c. 1965 directory of shops and services of San Jose’s Town & Country Village includes the following words: “Town & Country Village is a charming, rustic wonderland of the finest stores in Santa Clara Valley. The low, rambling architecture of the Village is suggestive of an early California hacienda. Tree-lined islands divide ample parking areas, just steps away from stores. Spanish tile roofs shelter wide sidewalks, inviting all-weather shopping.”
Like Sacramento’s Town & Country Village, San Jose’s Town & Country Village included businesses with the word, ‘Village’ in their names. Those San Jose businesses included Village Cleaners and Village Coiffeurs.
In 1985, the Village in San Jose introduced the Town & Country Village Lantern newsletter, which was offered as a newspaper advertising supplement.
The Lantern’s June 1986 edition mentions that the Village was home to 125 specialty stores and services.
The history of San Jose’s Town & Country Village came to an end in the late 1990s, as the old shopping center was demolished and replaced by a 1.5 million square foot, mixed use development known as Santana Row.
Construction on that development, which includes an upscale shopping center, theater and residential living units, began during the summer of 2000.
The initial portion of that development opened on Nov. 7, 2002. The fill-out of the project was completed by 2006.
According to a Santana Row press kit, Town & Country Village was built on a 40-acre parcel that was formerly the site of a pear orchard.
Also included in that release was the following history: “In 1960, developer Ron Williams (took) a shopping center concept that he thought would be appealing to Bay Area residents. He would build Town & Country Villages (with) one-level Spanish-style buildings of stores and restaurants in four Bay Area communities – San Jose, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto and Mill Valley.
“The shopping centers’ tile roofs and covered walkways, supported by thick, vine covered (beams) had a distinctive appearance that set them apart from other shopping malls. The open-air facilities invited visitors to stroll and relax, and promised a touch of class.
“Town & Country Village remained a popular destination for many years, even if larger, modern shopping malls were built in the valley.
“The center became a little tired, a little shabby and more than 8 acres remained a dusty, empty field.
“In the late 1990s, its owners at the time, (which was Metropolitan Life Insurance), decided to put the property on the market. Three thousand miles away, Federal Realty Investment Trust – an equity, realty investment trust, based in Rockville, Md. – was searching for a prime location in California to build its strength (with) an architecturally spanning, mixed-use development where people could live, work, shop and dine together all in one place. The Town & Country (Village) site in San Jose seemed the perfect fit.”
San Jose’s Town & Country Village site was sold to Federal Realty in March 1997.

Lance@valcomnews.com

Sacramento Suburban Water District Sets New Limits on Landscape Watering

Unveils new rebate programs to help customers conserve

The Sacramento Suburban Water District (SSWD) has adopted new outdoor watering restrictions that limit landscape irrigation to two days per week on specific days and times.

The new watering guidelines are designed to further encourage water reductions in light of the severe drought plaguing California and new directives from the Governor and State Water Resources Control Board to reduce water use. Sacramento Suburban Water District is required to reduce its water use by over 30 percent.

Effective immediately, outdoor watering is limited for all District customers to two (2) days per week according to the following schedule:

Addresses ending in an odd number (1, 3, 5, 7, 9) can water on Tuesday and Saturday
Addresses ending in an even number (0, 2, 4, 6, 8 ) and water on Sunday and Wednesday
Customers are allowed to water on their designated day before noon or after 8 p.m.

“People can make a big dent in their household water use by limiting landscape watering, which is where most water use occurs,” said Greg Bundesen, SSWD’s Water Conservation Supervisor. At a typical home, most water use goes to watering lawns and outdoor landscaping, and about 30 percent of that is lost due to overwatering and evaporation from wind and sun.

“By taking immediate action to limit landscape watering, SSWD customers can maximize water savings during the coming peak temperature and water use months. Summer presents our best opportunity to achieve the ambitious conservation targets set by the state,” Bundesen said.

In addition to the new watering guidelines, the District also is unveiling a suite of new incentive programs to help customers reduce water use. Rebates include:

Turf Replacement (”Cash for Grass”): 50 cents per square foot (up to $1,000) for replacing thirsty lawn with low-water use plants.

Irrigation Efficiency Upgrades (up to $300) for replacing existing spray sprinklers with more efficient rotary nozzles and drip irrigation systems.

Pool Covers (up to $100), which can reduce evaporation from pools by up to 95 percent.

Rain Sensors (up to $100) to automatically turn off sprinkler systems during rain.

Recirculating Hot Water Pumps (up to $150) to deliver hot water on demand.

WaterSense-Labeled Weather-Based Irrigation Controllers (up to $100) to install a “smart” sprinkler controller that adjusts watering schedules according to the weather.

Complete rebate details and applications, as well as water-wise tips will be available at sswd.org.

Women’s Wisdom Art: Empowerment through art

Shown here is a piece of student art.
Shown here is a piece of student art.

Photos by Leigh Stephens / Shown here are Laura Ann Walton, Susan Kelly-DeWitt, Helen Plenert.
Photos by Leigh Stephens / Shown here are Laura Ann Walton, Susan Kelly-DeWitt, Helen Plenert.

Why art for healing: Art demands the involvement of the whole person; body, mind, emotions, imagination, spirit and, it requires unrelenting self-reflection and self-discipline.

Women’s Wisdom Art is celebrating its 25th year as a Sacramento non-profit organization that holds classes in the arts and writing for low income women. The women are referred by friends and various social agencies. They come from diverse cultural backgrounds, from all walks of life.

Several thousand women come through WWA’s door to take part in art that rewards them with hope and community. Many continue their education to help them have a better life. They have experienced poor health, mental illness, learning disabilities, military service, abuse; some struggle with drug addiction and homelessness. Through the program many are able to lead productive, stable lives.

The agency has had a number of sponsors throughout these years. The Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission, Sisters of Mercy of Auburn, the Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services and private donors are among those who have contributed funds. When the Food Bank changed priorities about three years ago, WWA’s budget dropped from about $100,000 to $20,000.

The organization leaders, teachers and women participants vowed to keep the program going. It was a struggle to pay rent and keep the program going so now it shares space with the Poetry Center in an old warehouse at 1719 25th St. Bob Stanley, president of the Sacramento Poetry Center invited WWA to use their space for a modest rent… poetry at night; art classes in the day.

WWA has just received a Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission Cultural Award for artistic quality. The funding is for three years, 2015-17. It will support about 20 percent of WWA annual costs.

In February 2015, WWA with the Community for Peace exhibited art at the Crocker Art Museum, titled “Peace and Hope.” The show consisted of a mixture of paintings: oil, watercolors, acrylics. It also displayed hand crafted art and ceramic pieces. Those women artists beamed with pride as they discussed how they created each piece. The women’s art has also been displayed at SMUD art gallery, at the California Capitol, at local galleries and businesses.

In addition to art and writing classes, WWA holds a show twice a year where the public can view the women’s work and purchase pieces. The money goes back to the artist, and the artists pay a fee of $25 each month to help pay for art supplies: brushes, easels, journals, etc. With this monthly fee, women can attend any type of class during the month.

WWA empowers women through tapping their inner self through expression in painting, fabric art, mosaics, and writing. Roberta Beach, board member says, “WWA provides a safe place for women to build self-esteem, to develop confidence and the courage to take the next step to a fuller life through their art.”

In a recent acrylic class, five women gathered with volunteer instructor Susan Kelly-DeWitt (who was also WWA’s first program director) at the studio in a small room staged in a U shape. The women were working on various art pieces. Susan moved quietly from student-to-student offering suggestions and encouraging the women in their inspirations.

Student voices and lives:

Mallory, says she has been attending classes for about ten years. She says she values the community of women where they become part of her family. The program offers a structure for the women’s lives. She says, “It feeds my spirit so I have the freedom to express myself.”

Jen, says the art makes her optimistic about her future, “I thought art was a talent you were born with but discovered it also involves skills you can learn.

Consuelo says, “I feel strong about my Apache background. Wisdom has opened many doors for me. We are not just black & white…we come from many different cultures…I no longer have to be alone.”

Catie is a military vet who suffers from a debilitating illness that makes her hands shake when she works. It took a long time for Catie to grasp the ideas that in spite of her difficulties, she could draw and paint. She is now an art major.

Sandy says, “I’m recovering from drug addiction & alcoholism. I’m also on a journey to recover from sexual, physical and emotional abuse. I’m learning to like the one I see in the mirror.”

Founder Laura Ann Walton says, “Women’s Wisdom Art not only ‘helps’ the women, but can bring about a transformation of life – it is a spiritual experience.” Walton is a native of Sacramento who taught English in Catholic schools for 13 years and worked two years as principal of Mercy High School in Carmichael. She was one of the founding members of Loaves & Fishes, a non-profit agency serving the homeless. She was the founding Director of Maryhouse which serves homeless women and children, and she is the founder of Women’s Wisdom Art in 1990.

From a published booklet by the poets of Women’s Wisdom Art, 2014, When the Light Changes, Jana writes in her poem, “Beauty of the Mind,” “…The mind holds a hidden stillness containing the secret to life’s mystery. As days go by our most precious memories await us in an inkling of time. They await us patiently to be called forth, Beauty, mind, remembrance.”

Helen Plenert is the program manager for WWA who graduated from CSUS Art Department and moved to San Francisco where she held a number of professional theater positions in art design. Returning to Sacramento, she received a California State general contractor’s license which qualifies her to work on building projects such as murals. Her other art includes acrylics, water colors, and oil pastels. She says one of her teachers was well-known Sacramento artist Wayne Thiebaud.

Women’s Wisdom Art accepts donations of money, art supplies, yardage, sewing supplies, and volunteer services to the program. (See list of needs on http://www.womenswisdom.org) For more information contact Helen Plenert at her office 916-482-2608 or her cell 916-599-2608.

###

Leigh Stephens is a retired journalism professor from CSUS Department of Journalism and Communications and the author of more than 500 articles and the books, 12 Steps to Clear Writing and Covering the Community.

Water safety tips offered by SacPD

Sacramento Police Department Officer Terrell Marshall offered the following water safety tips:

- Have young children or inexperienced swimmers take extra precautions, such as wearing a U.S.
Coast Guard-approved life jacket, when around the water and staying within arm’s reach of a
designated water watcher.
- Designate a responsible individual(s) as the person to watch over children whenever they
are in, on or around any body of water, even if a lifeguard is present.
- Set specific swimming rules for each individual in a family or a group based on swimming ability
(for example, inexperienced swimmers should stay in water less than chest deep).
- Make sure swimmers know about the water environment and any potential hazards, such as deep and shallow areas, currents, obstructions and the locations of entry and exit points. The more informed people are, the more aware they will be of hazards as well as safe practices.
- Identify potential water hazards within the community and make certain that children stay away from them.
- Swim only in areas supervised by a lifeguard
- Always swim with a buddy; never swim alone.
- Read and obey all rules and posted signs.
- Only swim in designated areas.
- Use a feet first entry when entering the water.
-Enter headfirst only when the area is clearly marked for diving and has no obstructions.
- Do not mix alcohol with boating, swimming or diving. Alcohol impairs judgment, balance and coordination; impacts the ability to operate watercraft safely; affects swimming and diving skills; and reduces the body’s ability to stay warm.
- Take a boating safety course before operating any watercraft.
- Be especially cautious near moving water, cold water and ice.
- Be prepared. Aquatic emergencies happen quickly and suddenly. Whenever possible have a
telephone or mobile phone nearby.
Recreational swimming and water activities enrich our lives, but remember that it can also be a source of danger. Follow these simple tips and be safe out there!

Sacramento Asian Pacific Film Festival Celebrates Heritage and Culture Celebrate National APA Heritage Month at the historic Guild Theater in Oak Park

Sacramento Asian Pacific Film Festival
Sacramento Asian Pacific Film Festival

The signature event of the Sacramento Asian Pacific Cultural Village, the Sacramento Asian Pacific Film Festival (SAPFF) serves alongside a continuum of events and programming in support of traditional and contemporary Asian and Pacific Islander artistic expression within the Sacramento Region.

The event will span two days and include five screenings, 27 films, and more than 15 hours of Asian Pacific film, talent, stories, cultural performances, and more.

Highlights include:
-Sacramento hometown premiere of “Kung Phooey!”, hilarious 2003 martial arts spoof by Darryl Fong
-“Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles”, epic animated sci-fi film
-“Sriracha”, story of everyone’s favorite new Asian cuisine staple
-“Hidden Legacy: Japanese Traditional Performing Arts in the World War II Internment Camps”, with traditional Japanese music performances Sacramento biwa (Japanese lute) master Molly Kimura and Bay Area mother and son koto duo Shirley Muramoto-Wong and Brian Mitsuhiro Wong
-“Changing Season: On The Masumoto Family Farm”, story of Central Valley family farmers and their journey to keep the family legacy thriving in challenging times

SAPFF’s mission is to celebrate and explore our diverse experiences and advance the roles of Asian and Pacific Islanders in film and new media. Emcees include: Kathy Park (KCRA 3 News Anchor/Reporter) and Stephen Chun (Event Announcer) share the stage to bring you the 2015 Sacramento Asian Pacific Film Festival!

If you go:
What:

2015 Sacramento Asian Pacific Film Festival

When:

Friday, May 29, 4:30-9:30 p.m. and Saturday, May 30, 10:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. (Animation, food, documentaries, open submissions)

Where:

The Guild Theater, 2828 35th St.

Tickets:

Purchase single tickets for any of the five screenings in the categories of comedy, animation, food, documentaries and open submissions.
A full festival pass includes access to the entire 2-day event – 27 films, Q/A sessions, and stellar cultural performances).

Single Screenings:

General – Advanced $12 ($15 after May 22)
Students/Seniors are $10.

Full Festival Pass:

General – Advanced $50 ($60 after 5/22)
Students/Seniors $40

Current IDs for Student and Senior discount will be requested at the door. Online sales for single screening tickets ends 30 minutes prior to the screening.

All ticket purchases to the 2015 SAPFF include free admission to “SAPFF Pre-Launch at Pre-Flite!”, Wednesday, May 27 from 5 to 8 p.m. at Pre-Flite Lounge, and the “SAPFF Official After Party”, Saturday, May 30 from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. at Chaise Lounge! Pre-Launch and after party are strictly 21 and older. Specialty cocktails available. Mention SAPFF at the door.

FULL EVENT SCHEDULE:

Day 1: Comedy

Friday, May 29, from 4:30 to 9:30 p.m.
At 6:20 p.m., there will be a special presentation: Kung Phooey!, followed by question and answer period with director Darryl Fong. Comedy screening schedule includes: My Hot Mom Gandhi, Love Arcadia, Kung Phooey! and Miss India America.

Day 2: Animation

Saturday, May 30 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., there will be a special presentation, featuring Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, followed by a question and answer with director Tommy Yune. Animation screening schedule includes: Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, Today’s Headline, Fishing at Lethe, The Skinny Tree, Painter, Currency Affairs and Entrance Exam.

Day 3: Food

Saturday, May 30 from 1 to 3:45 p.m. There will be a special presentation of Sriracha. The food screening schedule includes: Sriracha, Sweet Corn, Cambodian Doughnut Dreams, Off The Menu: Asian America, Vishal and The Flip.

(Also Day 3): Documentaries

On Saturday, May 30, from 4 to 6:45 p.m., there will be a special presentation: Hidden Legacy: Japanese Traditional Performing Arts in the World War II Internment Camps, with traditional Japanese music performances by Bay Area mother and son koto duo Shirley Muramoto-Wong and Brian Mitsuhiro Wong, and local biwa master Molly Kimura. The screening schedule for documentaries includes: Hidden Legacy: Japanese Traditional Performing Arts in the World War II Internment Camps, Phetmixay Means Fighter, Giap’s Last Day at The Ironing Board Factory, Changing Season: On The Masumoto Family Farm.

(Also on Day 3) Open Submissions

On Saturday, May 30 from 7 to 9:30 p.m., there will be showings of The Other Side, South Paw, Jasmine, Wedlocked, I Dreamt of You and Live, Breathe, Hula.

New fitness and dance studio open near Pocket area

ZUMBA Fitness class
ZUMBA Fitness class

In 2012, mom and daughter duo, Corene Marshalek and Teajai Callander, moved to Sacramento from San Francisco, looking for relief from the high cost of living and stress of making ends meet. Corene had transferred job positions prematurely to later find that the job was no longer available after signing a 2 year lease in the South Sacramento area. Corene who had worked her entire life, found herself on unemployment for over a year, fell into a deep depression, and gained over 50 pounds to her smaller frame.

Finally, a break in the clouds… as a neighbor invited a shy Corene to join a ZUMBA Fitness class-where for 50 minutes you are engulfed in dance and a fun atmosphere allowing you to break away from the day-to-day stress and you lose yourself in the music burning up to 1,000 calories in one hour! Instantly Corene was hooked and began scraping the change together to be able to afford the costly $5 per class. Corene shared this new found joy with her depressed mother Teajai, who was nearly bed ridden and reclusive due to her Rheumatoid Arthritis and limited mobility in her legs and back.

Corene decided to become certified to teach ZUMBA Fitness and participate in the movement to assist people like herself and mother to beat depression and achieve weight management with a fun, party-like fitness frenzy. The duo began by delivering flyers door to door and applied for a business license to teach ZUMBA Fitness out of their garage; attracting neighborhood men and women. Corene expanded her reach by offering low-cost Zumba at local community centers.

On May 2, Corene and Teajai opened a new business location in South Sacramento at 6661 Florin Road called CFiT Dance Studio offering ZUMBA Fitness and ZUMBA Gold-A low impact fitness class for beginners and older adults. CFiT also offers Vinyasa Yoga, and the new Hot Hula Fitness to the area at a low, walk-in rate of $4 per class or a $30 VIP membership (which includes many nutritional/fitness goodies and certified wellness coaching). There are no initiation fees or contracts to sign; you just show up and dance yourself fit. And starting soon, CFiT will have a nutrition program and weight loss group available.

Visit CFiT Dance Studio on Facebook or visit the website at http://CFiT.dance for a full schedule of classes. Join the party grand opening weekend on June 12, 13, and 14.

According to Teajai, “ZUMBA is a workout everyone can enjoy; combining Latin, international, and pop music into an infectious fitness party; you forget it’s a workout. We, at CFiT Dance Studio, want to expose people in the area to fun ways to get fit.”

Mangers to Chair Sacramento Region Community Foundation Board

Former State Assemblyman Dennis Mangers
Former State Assemblyman Dennis Mangers

Former president of the California Cable and Telecommunications Association and former state Assemblyman Dennis Mangers has accepted the chairmanship of the Sacramento Region Community Foundation Board of Trustees, succeeding Henry Wirz.
The Sacramento Region Community Foundation, which manages $120 million in assets, recently announced its 2015 Big Day Of Giving campaign. Five hundred twenty-eight local nonprofit organizations will participate in the Big Day Of Giving May 5, with a goal of raising $5 million. In 2014, Sacramento’s Big Day Of Giving raised more than $3 million with 394 non-profits participating, coming in second in the nation among participants in the national Give Local America campaign.
Mangers served as principal lobbyist, senior vice president and ultimately president of the California Cable and Telecommunications Association from 1981 to 2008. He previously represented the 73rd Assembly District in the California legislature from 1976 to 1980.
Mangers resides with husband Michael Sestak in Carmichael.

Arden-Carmichael Calendar

Send your event announcement for consideration to: editor@valcomnews.com at least two weeks prior to publication.

Audubon Program to highlight loss and recovery of Central Valley Wetlands
May 15:

The story of the loss and recovery of waterbird habitat in the Central Valley will be told by CSU Stanislaus Associate Professor Philip Garone at the May 15 meeting of the Sacramento Audubon Society.
The 7 p.m. meeting will be at Effie Yeaw Nature Center in Ancil Hoffman Park (For directions, see http://sacnaturecenter.com).
There will be no charge for the program or parking, and no park-entry fee.
Professor Garone teaches environmental history and is the author of several publications, including The Fall and Rise of the Wetlands of California’s Great Central Valley (UC Press 2011).
For the first 100 years of statehood, the original four million acres or so of permanent and seasonal wetlands in the Central Valley was “reclaimed” to a fraction of its size and converted to agriculture, Professor Garone notes.
But in the second half of the 20th Century and into the present we have been protecting and restoring – rather than destroying – Valley wetlands.
The different ways this came about in the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys, and some of the challenges still facing us, will be the main thrust of his presentation, Professor Garone states.

Fairytale Town presents a day of “Farms, Friends & Fairytales”
May 16:

From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., join Fairytale Town for a fun-filled celebration of farm animals and agriculture! At 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. watch Fairytale Town’s Babydoll sheep get sheared and the wool spun into yarn using an old fashioned spinning wheel. Plus, participate in agriculture-themed hands-on activities, and visit with local area farms and organizations. This program is free with paid park admission. Weekend admission is $5.50 for adults and children ages 2 and older. Children ages 1 and under are free. For more information, visit http://fairytaletown.org or call 808-7462. Sponsored by Whole Foods Market and SAFE Credit Union. Fairytale Town is located at 3901 Land Park Dr.

Free Community Safety Event for Children/Parents
May 16:

To keep kids safe over the summer months it’s important to share safety awareness, self-defense and strategies to avoid conflicts including bullying. So, Robinson’s Taekwondo will be offering a free one-hour safety clinic to bring parents and children together to learn and practice being safe together, including easy escapes from grabs and anti-bully roleplaying families can share. With many parents working and the kids out of school many are often more vulnerable to bullying, playground assault or potential victims of predators. Safety in our community comes from raising awareness and giving children and families the tools they need to cope. Robinson’s Taekwondo at 1 p.m. Registration is required and space limited. Register online at:
http://www.robinsonstkd.com/tickets to reserve your place and find a participating location in the Sacramento region. Call 1-888-249-7853 for more information.

Fire Station 6 Open House
May 16:

Fire Station 6, located at 3301 MLK Jr. Blvd., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

‘Haute Stuff’, a benefit fashion show and marketplace for the Sacramento Children’s Home
May 17:

From noon to 4 p.m., enjoy a marketplace of fashion, home, and lifestyle temptations. There will be local food and wines as well as a fashion show of Haute trends. Even benefits the Sacramento Children’s Home. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit http://www.kidshome.org/events. Event will be held at Jardin Rue Estate, 4475 Garden Highway.

Free band concert
May 18:

The Sacramento Concert Band will present a free Spring concert at 7:30 p.m. at Christ Community Church, 5025 Manzanita Ave., in Carmichael. The concert by the 50-piece band will include “Colonel Bogey” (theme from the movie “Bridge Over the River Kwai”), “Marche Militaire Francaise”, and a medley of tunes by Jule Styne (“The Party’s Over”, “People”, and “Don’t Rain on My Parade”). The band has been performing in the Sacramento area since 1969. There is no charge for the concert, but donations will be accepted. For more information, visit the band’s web site: http://www.sacramentoconcertband.net. Come and enjoy the music!

Sacramento Guitar Society Orchestra spring concert
May 19:

A 3 p.m. spring concert with the Sacramento Guitar Society Orchestra directed by Sean O’Connor and guest artists including Live Oak Waldorf School in Auburn’s Guitar Class directed by Nan Shaw will occur at Capistrano Hall, Room 151, California State University, Sacramento. Donations accepted.

Music at noon free concert at Westminster Presbyterian Church
May 20:

Bring your lunch and enjoy fine music. This week there will be music featuring jazz guitarist Doug Pauly and Friends. Upcoming concert information and “printed” programs can be accessed from http://www.musicatnoon.org. Westminster Presbyterian Church is located at 1300 N St.

What: Grinding Holes to Cattle Brands History Hike
May 23:

The Sacramento Valley Conservancy’s featured monthly history hike at Deer Creek Hills
is the Grinding Holes to Cattle Brands, scheduled from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Come travel a new trail with Deer Creek Hill’s historian David Scharlach as he points out evidence of prior residence to Sacramento’s largest open space preserve. Put your boots onto the soil where Native Americans hunted and chanted songs to the early hours, where European trappers took beaver, where Californios were rewarded for their services,
where miners scoured the gulches for a bit of color and, finally, ranchers grazed their
sheep and cattle. Good for all ages. Cost is $10. Register online: http://www.sacramentovalleyconservancy.org/calendar.asp

Woodland and Pond Birding
May 23:

The Sacramento Valley Conservancy invites you to participate to a docent guided Pond
Birding at Deer Creek Hills from 7 to 11 a.m. Volunteer Birding Docents Thomas Baumann and Lisa Couper will guide and lead you on cattle paths at this open space preserve. You’ll observe birding activity at stock ponds
and seasonal creeks, as you take shelter along the edge of the oak woodland canopy. Late
departing migratory birds can be seen and heard, as well as the activity of the year-round
birds of Deer Creek Hills. Hushed tones, walking and stopping are the best ways to bird watch on this outing. Wear “quiet” warm, muted earth-tone colors, sturdy boots for uneven surfaces. Cotton or wool
fabrics are considered “quiet” and work great! Birding scopes, binoculars and/or cameras,
are highly recommended for any birding outing. The event is good for all ages. The cost is $10.
Register online: http://www.sacramentovalleyconservancy.org/calendar.asp

Auditions for Sacramento Youth Symphony’s 2015-2016 season
May 23, 24, 30, 31:

If you play brass, woodwinds, percussion, or strings then you’re invited to join the award-winning Sacramento Youth Symphony, the Sacramento area’s premier youth organization for musicians (ages 6-21)! SYS has orchestras and ensembles for every level, from beginning through advanced. Online applications are available at http://www.sacramentoyouthsymphony.org, and are due by late April Auditions will be held on May 23 and 24 and May 30 and 31. Full merit-based scholarships available for select instruments (must apply before April 10)! Call Robert at 731-5777 for details.

Music at noon free concert at Westminster Presbyterian Church
May 27:

Bring your lunch and enjoy fine music. This week there will be music featuring violinist Igor Veligan and pianist Natsuki Fukasawa. Upcoming concert information and “printed” programs can be accessed from http://www.musicatnoon.org. Westminster Presbyterian Church is located at 1300 N St.

Fire Station 8 Open House
May 30:

Fire Station 8, located at 5990 H St., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

June

Free! Riverside Concert Series at Camp Pollock
June 4:

Come Relax at Camp Pollock! Concert will feature a relaxing musical experience on Sacramento’s American River Parkway. Concerts start at 6 and continue until 8 p.m. Bring your own picnic basket and blanket. Bring your leashed dog. Enjoy S’mores compliments of Sierra Service Project! The events are hosted by the Sacramento Valley Conservancy. For more information, contact http://sacramentovalleyconservancy.org or call 731-8798. Camp Pollock is located at 1501 Northgate Blvd.

Fire Station 5 Open House
June 6:

Fire Station 5, located at 731 Broadway, will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

The Folsom Symphony presents: Sport Night at the Symphony
June 6 and 7:

Narrated as a sports event, the symphony presents a-Monday Night Football theme, featuring Bizet’s “March of the Toreadors” (Carmen), Reineke’s “Casey at the Bat”, themes from Rocky, Chariots of Fire, and Brian’s Song, Williams’ “Olympic Fanfare and Theme”, Peter Schickele/PDQ Bach’s hilarious version of the first movement of Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony. Harris Center for the Arts, 10 College Parkway. The Saturday, June 6 show starts at 7:30 p.m. and the Sunday, June 7 starts at 2 p.m. For more information, visit http://www.folsomsymphony.com or call 608-6888. Tickets range from $20 to $55 depending on location.

A theater performance “Anansi, The Spider” to be held at Fairytale Town
June: 6 and 7:

Show times are 12:30, 1:30 and 2:30 p.m. In the jungles of Africa lives a tiny spider known as Anansi. Believing the children of Earth need stories to tell each other, he begins a quest to get the golden box of stories from Nyami, the sky god. This story is presented by The Puppet Company using hand and rod puppets with authentic African music, colorful costuming and classical African design. Tickets are $2 for nonmembers in addition to park admission, and $1 for members. For more information, visit fairytaletown.org or call 808-7462. Sponsored by ScholarShare College Savings Plan. Fairytale Town is located at 3901 Land Park Dr.

Film showing about Sutter’s birth place, Kandern
June 12:

At 7 p.m., Peter Volker from Kandern will be in Sacramento at the Turn Verein to show a film about Kandern, which is not only the birthplace of General Sutter, but in 1848 there was a fight at Kandern where the first “Republicans” (i.e. students etc.) were demanding and fighting for establishing a “Republic of Baden.” When they were defeated many of them fled across the Rhine-river and then to the USA. They founded many “Turnvereine” in America. After the film, Peter will have a discussion and answer questions. This is a project of a partnership between Sacramento and Kandern. Those interested in this project are invited to join the meeting at the http://www.sacramentoturnverein.com

Fire Station 12 Open House
June 13:

Fire Station 12, located at 4500 24th St., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

Free! Riverside Concert Series at Camp Pollock
June 18:

Come Relax at Camp Pollock! Concert will feature a relaxing musical experience on Sacramento’s American River Parkway. Concerts start at 6 and continue until 8 p.m. Bring your own picnic basket and blanket. Bring your leashed dog. Enjoy S’mores compliments of Sierra Service Project! The events are hosted by the Sacramento Valley Conservancy. For more information, contact http://sacramentovalleyconservancy.org or call 731-8798. Camp Pollock is located at 1501 Northgate Blvd.

Family Campout at Fairytale Town
Friday, June 19 5:30 p.m. through Saturday, June 20 at 7 a.m.:

Spend the night in Fairytale Town’s storybook park. This exciting overnight adventure includes a theater performance, arts and crafts activities, a scavenger hunt, bedtime stories and a sing-along. Wake up the next morning under Fairytale Town’s canopy of trees to a light continental breakfast. Prices range from $25-$30 per person and include all activities. Member discounts are available. For more information, visit http://fairytaletown.org or call 808-7462. Fairytale Town is located at 3901 Land Park Dr.

Fire Station 7 Open House
June 20:

Fire Station 7, located at 6500 Wyndham Dr., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

Fire Station 10 Open House
June 27:

Fire Station 10, located at 5642 66th St., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

A Midsummer Night’s Dream & Crystal Ice Cream Fantasy at Fairytale Town
June 27:

From 5 to 9 p.m., celebrate William Shakespeare’s popular fairy-themed play while enjoying all-you-can-eat Crystal ice cream! This magical midsummer’s evening features multiple ice cream tasting stations, live entertainment, hands-on activities, an olde worlde marketplace and more. Celtic rock band Tempest will perform throughout the evening. Costumes for the whole family are encouraged. No host food and bar. Mix 96’s Dan & Michelle will emcee the evening as this year’s Honorary King and Queen. Tickets go on sale May 1 at http://fairytaletown.org. Advance tickets are $15 for adults and $7 for children ages 2-12. Members receive $2 off per ticket on advance tickets. Day-of tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for children ages 2-12. No member discount on day-of tickets. For more information, visit http://fairytaletown.org or call 808-7462. Sponsored by Crystal Creamery. Fairytale Town is located at 3901 Land Park Dr.

July

Free! Riverside Concert Series at Camp Pollock
July 2:

Come Relax at Camp Pollock! Concert will feature a relaxing musical experience on Sacramento’s American River Parkway. Concerts start at 6 and continue until 8 p.m. Bring your own picnic basket and blanket. Bring your leashed dog. Enjoy S’mores compliments of Sierra Service Project! The events are hosted by the Sacramento Valley Conservancy. For more information, contact sacramentovalleyconservancy.org or call 731-8798. Camp Pollock is located at 1501 Northgate Blvd.

Fire Station 11 Open House
July 11:

Fire Station 11, located 785 Florin Road, will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

American-Portuguese Veteran’s Memorial Poker Tournament
July 11:

There will be a poker tournament on July 11 at SPHSS Portuguese Hall, 6676 Pocket Road. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.; the tournament starts at 6:30 p.m. While this tournament will help fund the placement of a monument at the State Capitol to honor American-Portuguese that served the United States, it is also a template for other ethnic groups to have a similar monument. If the time comes for Chinese-American, Greek-American, Irish-American, Italian-American, Mexican-American or any other ethnic gropus to place a monument, they will already have a blueprint for placement, which is required. For those who wish to buy tickets or sponsor the event can contact Eddia Maria at 314-757-0474. In regard to sponsorship, for $250 you will receive two entries into the tournament ($100 value) along with your business name and logo shown on a big screen in front of the room on a continuous loop for the duration of the event.

Fire Station 13 Open House
July 18:

Fire Station 13, located at 1100 43rd Ave., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

Fire Station 15 Open House
July 25:

Fire Station 15, located at 1591 Newborough Dr., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

August

Fire Station 18 Open House
Aug. 1:

Fire Station 18, located at 746 North Market Blvd., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

Free! Riverside Concert Series at Camp Pollock
Aug. 6:

Come Relax at Camp Pollock! Concert will feature a relaxing musical experience on Sacramento’s American River Parkway. Concerts start at 6 and continue until 8 p.m. Bring your own picnic basket and blanket. Bring your leashed dog. Enjoy S’mores compliments of Sierra Service Project! The events are hosted by the Sacramento Valley Conservancy. For more information, contact http://sacramentovalleyconservancy.org or call 731-8798. Camp Pollock is located at 1501 Northgate Blvd.

Fire Station 19 Open House
Aug. 8:

Fire Station 19, located at 1700 Challenge Way, will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

Fire Station 57 Open House
Aug. 15:

Fire Station 57, located at 7927 East Parkway, will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

Fire Station 60 Open House
Aug. 22:

Fire Station 60, located at 3301 Julliard Dr., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

Fire Station 16 Open House
Aug. 29:

Fire Station 16, located at 7363 24th St., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

September

Free! Riverside Concert Series at Camp Pollock
Sept. 10:

Come Relax at Camp Pollock! Concert will feature a relaxing musical experience on Sacramento’s American River Parkway. Concerts start at 6 and continue until 8 p.m. Bring your own picnic basket and blanket. Bring your leashed dog. Enjoy S’mores compliments of Sierra Service Project! The events are hosted by the Sacramento Valley Conservancy. For more information, contact http://sacramentovalleyconservancy.org or call 731-8798. Camp Pollock is located at 1501 Northgate Blvd.

Fire Station 20 Open House
Sept. 12:

Fire Station 20, located at 2512 Rio Linda Blvd., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

Fire Station 43 Open House
Sept. 19:

Fire Station 43, located at 4201 El Centro Road, will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

October

Free! Riverside Concert Series at Camp Pollock
Oct. 1:

Come Relax at Camp Pollock! Concert will feature a relaxing musical experience on Sacramento’s American River Parkway. Concerts start at 6 and continue until 8 p.m. Bring your own picnic basket and blanket. Bring your leashed dog. Enjoy S’mores compliments of Sierra Service Project! The events are hosted by the Sacramento Valley Conservancy. For more information, contact http://sacramentovalleyconservancy.org or call 731-8798. Camp Pollock is located at 1501 Northgate Blvd.

Fire Station 17 Open House
Oct. 10:

Fire Station 17, located at 1311 Bell Ave., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

Fire Station 30 Open House
Oct. 17:

Fire Station 30, located at 1901 Club Center Dr., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.

Fire Station 56 Open House
Oct. 24:

Fire Station 56, located at 3720 47th Ave., will have an open house from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet firefighters and possibly mascot Sparky.