Union Pacific – Building America for 150 Years! Event Includes:
• Tours of the cab of legendary steam locomotive No. 844
• An up close look of Union Pacific’s newest experimental locomotive, UP 9900
• Board the traveling museum car to see 150 years of Union Pacific history
• Excursion train rides
• Entrance into the Railroad Museum and Sacramento History Museum
ROSEVILLE, Calif., September 13, 2012 – Union Pacific Railroad will continue its year-long 150TH anniversary celebration with a huge, two-day signature event in Old Sacramento September 29-30 that will include free excursion train rides and free entrance into both the California State Railroad Museum and Sacramento History Museum. The community celebration will commemorate 150 years since President Abraham Lincoln created the original Union Pacific by signing the Pacific Railway Act of July 1, 1862. In partnership with California State Parks, the Union Pacific – Building America for 150 Years! celebration will be the most elaborate event staged in the Western United States as part of Union Pacific’s sesquicentennial year to be held at the California State Railroad Museum.
“Union Pacific’s 150TH anniversary gives us a special chance to celebrate our historic past with the communities that are important to our future,” said Scott Moore, Union Pacific vice president, public affairs – Western Region. “We are proud to celebrate 150 years of innovation and building America with a signature event in Old Sacramento, which has a fascinating past rich in the history and heritage of the West.”
Saturday morning at 10 a.m., the public is invited to join Union Pacific Railroad, California State Parks and state and city officials to a special kick-off event outside the California State Railroad Museum. At the opening festivities, which are sure to delight railroad and history enthusiasts from near and far, Sacramento officials plan to honor Union Pacific’s 150th anniversary, and the railroad will proclaim the Sacramento community an official Train Town USA. The first 500 people to arrive at 9:30 in advance of the kick-off presentation will receive a limited-edition 150th Anniversary pin from Union Pacific.
In addition to live music, entertainment and period-appropriate performances happening in various locations throughout Old Sacramento State Historic Park, a variety of locomotives and other equipment will be on special display during the two-day Union Pacific – Building America for 150 Years! event in Old Sacramento, open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. Event highlights will include:
• The chance for visitors to see the inside of the engineer’s cab of the crowd-favorite steam locomotive No. 844 known as the “Living Legend.”
• The public’s first opportunity to see the experimental locomotive UP 9900 equipped with the very latest emissions-reducing technology that provides a glimpse into the future of railroading.
• The popular 1960‘s vintage Promontory baggage car that has been retrofitted into a state-of-the-art traveling museum.
• History-rich passenger cars and equipment.
• Modern UP police and maintenance vehicles.
• Free train rides on Union Pacific’s popular miniature train, UP 956.
• Free weekend excursion train rides on the Sacramento Southern Railroad (based on availability). For visitors interested in a luxury train ride experience along the Sacramento River, train rides aboard the first-class El Dorado are available for $15 per person (ages five and under ride free) and can be booked online in advance at www.californiastaterailroadmuseum.org.
• Free entrance to the California State Railroad Museum, widely recognized as North America’s most popular train museum, and access to a special exhibit launching that weekend highlighting the legacy of the transcontinental railroad.
• Free entrance to the Sacramento History Museum, a popular destination that offers visitors a chance to explore the region’s rich history from the days before the Gold Rush to the present.
More information about Union Pacific Railroad, the series of special events or the Union Pacific – Building America for 150 Years! celebration is available at www.up150.com and www.californiastaterailroadmuseum.org.
About Union Pacific
It was 150 years ago that Abraham Lincoln signed the Pacific Railway Act of July 1, 1862, creating the original Union Pacific. One of America’s iconic companies, today, Union Pacific Railroad is the principal operating company of Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE: UNP), linking 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country by rail and providing freight solutions and logistics expertise to the global supply chain. From 2000 through 2011, Union Pacific spent more than $31 billion on its network and operations, making needed investments in America’s infrastructure and enhancing its ability to provide safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible freight transportation. Union Pacific’s diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Energy, Industrial Products and Intermodal. The railroad serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers and emphasizes excellent customer service. Union Pacific operates competitive routes from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways, connects with Canada’s rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major Mexico gateways.